Tuesday, July 15, 2008

THE URBAN FAUNA












One of the things that has surprised the most since I arrived, is the fauna in New York. Since I came, I think I have had more relation with bugs and other animals, than with human beings.


The other day, I was walking on my street in Brooklyn, and suddently I saw a light going on and off, just if front of me. I thought I was becoming mad, but I wasn't. It was a glow-worm, these bugs that fly and make light with the electricity they produce with the movement. I was so fascinated. I know the movement can produce energy, and also electricity, but how a bug can produce that? I just stopped for half an hour, trying to take pictures of them.


Unfortunately not all bugs are so beautiful as these ones, there are several others, that freak me out every time I have any type of contact with them. The first day, the mosquitos ate me when I was sleeping, and they haven't stopped doing it since. I had to buy desperately a spray anti-mosquitos which I use disproportionately every night.

Yesterday I was in the subway, coming back home from Williamsburg -very nice area, by the way. The station was quite empty, and at the end of the corridor of the platform (which are endless), I saw a huge rat, looking for food. Me and another girl kept on watching at it, just in case it came to us. Since I arrived, I have seen at least 10 rats, one of which walked on my feet when I went out with Mike the other night.

I could keep going, cats, fleas, beatles, cockroaches, bed bugs, huge centipides... Loads of different animals that habit in cities with us, and that we dismiss; want to forget; and get annoyed with, cause apparently, we think they don't have the right to cohabit with us. But in fact, if they are always around, is because of us. All of them live from us, from licking our blood; eating the food we don't want, or squoting our furiture. These parasits aren't anything else but another reflection of the city, and therefore, a reflection of ourselves.

No comments: